The Governors of Savio Salesian College share a common belief that children should receive an education of the best possible quality.
Among Governors’ responsibilities are:
Governing Body membership includes representatives from the staff, parents and the Local Authority, as well as Foundation Governors.
Staff Governors are teachers or other employees of the college who are elected into office by their colleagues.
Parent Governors are elected onto the Governing Body by parents of students currently attending the college.
Local Authority Governors are appointed by the LA that maintains the college.
Foundation Governors are appointed by the Trustees of the college to represent and sustain their interests and priorities. In the case of this college, the Trustees are the Salesians of Don Bosco.
Code of Practice for Governors
The Governing Body of the college has responsibility for the broad policies, plans and procedures within which the college operates: they determine such matters and subsequently monitor them and keep them under review. Governors appoint the Headteacher to manage these responsibilities on their behalf, and recognise that the Headteacher, together with the leadership team, is responsible for the implementation of policy, the effective day-to-day operation of the college and the delivery of the curriculum.
Being a Governor requires a significant commitment of time and energy. All Governors involve themselves actively in the work of the Governing Body and accept their share of duties, including serving on committees and working-parties. They also seek and accept appropriate training through attendance at courses and seminars.
The Governors of Savio Salesian College have developed and maintain effective working relationships with the Headteacher, leadership team, teachers, staff, parents, the LA, the Archdiocese and other relevant agencies as appropriate.
Type of Governor: Appointed: Termination Date:
Mr J Toye August 2015 15.07.2019
Fr M Cunningham August 2015 15.07.2019
Fr B McAllister August 2015 15.07.2019
Mr A Waller August 2015 15.07.2019
Mrs S McCormick December 2016 01.12.2020
Mr J Thornhill (Chair) November 2017 31.082021
Fr J McGarry December 2017 31.08.2021
Mr T Rimmer August 2015 15.07.2019
Mr Tony Costello, Headteacher September 2017 standing place
Mr Michael Bennett December 2013 December 2017
Miss V Lyon July 2015 15.07.2019
Fr J Ruszniak (Ethos & Policies) September 2015 August 2019
Mrs M B Vincent September 2017 standing place
Declarations of Interest 2017-2018
Mr A Waller
Fr M Cunningham
Foundation Governor at Notre Dame Catholic College
Accountant for the Sisters of Notre Dame (Trustees of Notre Dame Catholic College)
Attendance at Meetings
Savio Salesian College
1 The name of the school is Savio Salesian College.
2. The College was founded by and is part of the Catholic Church. The College is to be conducted as a Catholic School in accordance with Canon Law and the teachings of the Catholic Church, and in accordance with the Trust Deed of the Salesians of Don Bosco and in particular:
(a) Religious education is to be in accordance with the teachings, doctrines, discipline and general and particular norms of the Catholic Church;
(b) religious worship is to be in accordance with the rites, practices, discipline and liturgical norms of the Catholic Church; and at all times the College is to serve as a witness to the Catholic faith in Our Lord Jesus Christ.
3. The College is a voluntary aided College in the trusteeship of the Salesians of Don Bosco and is an exempt charity for the advancement of the Roman Catholic religion and the advancement of education.
4. The name of the governing body is: The Governing Body of Savio Salesian College.
5. The governing body shall consist of:
(a) seven (7) foundation governors;
(b) two (2) parent governors;
(c) one (1) head teacher;
(d) one (1) staff governor;
(e) one (1) authority governor;
6. Total number of governors: twelve (12)
7. Foundation governors shall be appointed and may be removed by the Provincial of the Salesians of Don Bosco or any other person exercising jurisdiction on his behalf.
8. The term of office for every foundation governor shall terminate on 31st August following the third anniversary of the date of appointment. The term of office for other governors is four years.
9. This Instrument of Government comes into effect on 1st September 2015.
10. This Instrument of Government was approved by the Trustees of the Salesians of Don Bosco on the 10 July 2015 and the Archdiocese of Liverpool on 15 July 2015 and made by order of Sefton on16 July 2015 .
11. A copy of this Instrument of Government must be supplied to every member of the governing body (and any head teacher if not a governor), the Provincial of the Salesians of Don Bosco and the Archdiocese of Liverpool.