Miss R Cummings (Curriculum Lead for Religious Education)
Bro. W Dowrzak (College Chaplain)
Religious Education is central to the life and mission of Savio Salesian College. As a school in the Salesian tradition we take seriously the beliefs and values of our founder St Don Bosco who taught us the following:
“Do you want to do a holy thing? A most holy thing? A truly holy thing? Then educate the young”
St Don Bosco
At Savio Salesian College, there is a strong Catholic culture and ethos. The spiritual life of the college is well resourced and taken extremely seriously. Ample opportunities for spiritual growth are provided through assemblies, daily acts of collective worship, positive pupil-centred relationships, retreats and pilgrimages.
There is a robust chaplaincy programme lead by our Chaplain, Fr Jakub Ruszniak. The willingness of the entire community to provide such opportunities is overwhelming.
Residential and one-day retreats are offered at appropriate times of the year. Planning and leadership of such events is undertaken collaboratively between the college Chaplin, the RE team and the Pastoral team.
Key Stage 3 Overview (Years 7, 8 and 9)
Pupils receive 4 hours of RE over a fortnight and are set by ability. The key stage 3 program of study follows the People of God national framework specially tailored and edited to suit the ethos of our Salesian school. Students in key stage 3 will study 6 topics over the course of the academic year.
Year 7 Program of Study
· An introduction to Catholicism and Salesianity
· Catholic Beliefs and Practices
· Who was Jesus?
· The Kingdom of God
Year 8 Program of Study
· Old Testament Studies
· Jewish beliefs and practices
· Jewish festivals and rites of passage
· Forgiveness and reconciliation
· Catholic faith in action
Year 9 Program of Study
· Medical, ethical, and environmental issues
· Philosophy of religion
· Marriage, family and social issues
· Peace and conflict
· Crime and punishment
QUALIFICATION: EDUQAS GCSE RELIGIOUS STUDIES ROUTE B
Pupils in Key Stage 4 receive 4 hours of RE over a fortnight and will be set by ability. The key stage 4 program of study follows the Eduqas Religious studies Catholic Christianity with Judaism course.
· Component 1- Theme 1- Origins and Meaning
· Component 1- Theme 2- Good and Evil
· Component 3- Theme 1- Jewish beliefs
· Component 3- Theme 2- Jewish practices
· Component 2- Theme 2- Sin and Forgiveness
· Component 2- Theme 1- Life and Death